Monday 25 June 2012

Romeo and Juliet - Interview With Leonardo DiCaprio

                                              In an earlier post, I have reminded students that for Paper 2 we all must submit the text to rigorous close reading. No film is ever a substitute for that process of reading and imaginative response to text. Those who seek to use film as a sort of 'sparks notes' on the screen, do a great disservice to the original text, to the film adaptation and not least to the their own intelligence.
I love books. I also love film. I sometimes like films based on books and sometimes I don't.
There is often a kind of snobbery at work. where some people think it makes them seem more intelligent if they make snide remarks about film. This is incredibly ignorant.
I suggest that they watch "Il Postino" and see that film can entertain and inform, just like books.

I do NOT promote film as a 'slick' alternative for lazy students, it is a case of both genre being different types of art.
Some of you may love this and some may hate it.
Keen readers prefer to create images from the words as they read and translate the words into images. That is wonderful. However, my mission is to provide many different approaches and empower students to make informed decisions about how to engage with text.
Some students may also prefer to watch the more traditional and very fine BBC interpretations and indeed I have posted clips from the Zefferelli classic film version in an earlier post.
As a teacher I believe that if students move past the idea that Shakespeare is 'hard' and I can soften  resistance to the text. because there are also students for whom the  language may seem different at the beginning of study, the power of the poetry in Shakespeare's words will hold us all in awe. I have seen this film contribute to this process with students who were reluctant to 'open their minds' to Shakespeare but not everyone will like this approach and that is part of the diversity of views that we encourage in IB life -long learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.